Friday, April 15, 2011

Little progress

I think I need to start using this blog to keep track of what I am doing.  Since no one reads it anyway, no need to wait for pictures and all to do a complete post!

Today I sanded down the edges of the hallway chair rail b/c they were dangerously sharp (the returns) and touched up the sanded spots while I had the paint out...

And I had the paint out because it was time to wrap up this little project that I will call the big mistake :(  We had discussed putting up beadboard in the powder room, but it wasn't necessarily high on the priority list.  Eventually I couldn't stand the white walls, and started painting.  It looked GREAT!!  I used Glidden Woodsmoke, and it looked fab with the ORB fixtures.  I did stop at chair level, incase we went ahead with the beadboard.  It stayed for a few months, and just when I was about to paint the bottom, Darling decided to proceed with the beadboard.  As he was loading the materials into the cart, I said "maybe we shouldn't...."  But he assured me that it would just be a few hours and it would be done.  And that this thicker (wider) beadboard that he was choosing was going to look great.


Unfortunately, wrong on all accounts.  1.  This started a month ago and still is not done.  2.  The wider board does not look good because 3.  IT IS NOT BEADBOARD.  Nope.  It is just planks. 
No bead...Just board.  If you have this in your house, I wouldn't hate it, but it is NOT what I wanted.  It is a casual farmhouse-y style, which is just not what I was going for.  Plus the bathroom already had the 2 piece (ie formal) crown molding that went up a few months ago.  Not a good style match.  Plus, any type of wainscoting is supposed to follow that rule of thirds- 1/3 or 2/3 of the wall.  This is at a random height of 4 feet (8 foot boards cut in half)

So Darling, thank you for your hard work and effort.  I'm sorry I dislike it.  But it is what it is, and the fact that it remains unfinished was starting to make me really HATE the room, so I thought I better get to it and finish up.  So, I filled the nail holes and slapped on a quick coat of semi-gloss.  Pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment